Tips for Sucessful Bovine Artificial Insemination
For this post, we want to remind you of the old time saying that “practice makes perfect”. This rings true especially when learning new reproductive techniques such as artificial insemination or embryo transfer.
However, learning how to AI without prior guidance can be extremely difficult. We offer a course that includes AI and embryo transfer techniques. This course provides you with a solid foundation of knowledge to take back to your operation and practice implementing these advanced reproductive techniques.
Once you have your foundation, there are some key components to remember:
- Inventory your semen tank so you know where and how many straws you have.
- It should take under 8 seconds to move a straw from the tank to the thaw bath.
- Leave the straw in the thaw bath at 94-96°F for a minimum of 45 seconds.
- Use a paper towel to prevent water, light, and cold damage.
- Insert the rod into the tract at a 45 degree upward angle.
- Use your palpation arm to manipulate the tract and create a path to the uterus.
- Do not use excessive force on the AI rod.
- Semen needs to be deposited into the female tract within 15 minutes of thawing.