Combined Comprehensive Bovine Embryo Transfer
Artificial Insemination Training Course
“Your approach to teaching is down to earth and easy to understand. I would recommend your school to anyone who wishes to learn ET.”
Alan Bridges, Bridges Angus Farm
“Implementing embryo transfer into our cattle operation has been an enormous success. We hold Dr. Peter Elsden and The International Embryo Transfer School with our highest regard as they are largely responsible for our accomplishments.”
Bob Stevenson, Stevenson Angus Ranch
"Just wanted to let you know how valuable your course has been for me. Your presentation of information and techniques was great! Being able to perform embryo transfer has added much value to my practice."
Jan Michler DVM
“My time was well spent at The International Embryo Transfer School, it was one of the best things I have ever done to date. Thus taking the course has given me a great advantage in the purebred cattle industry and an awesome outlook in the business world.”
“I just wanted you a note on how things are going. It had been a while since I took your course, a month ago I transferred my first 20 DT embryos. A 65% pregnancy rate. Not bad for the first time out of the gate. I just want to thank you and let everyone know what a great teacher you are. You are highly recommended to anyone who asks me about an ET school.”
“We would like to express our gratitude for the excellent detailed training we received at your embryo transfer school. Your years of experience and small class size really enabled us to fully understand the material and procedures you presented. The individual instruction while working the cows helped us to move at our own level and ability. My father and I left your class confident that we will be able to reach the goals we have set. Your love of the industry shines through. It’s people like you who make this business a pleasure to be in.”
Sha Embree Kokopelli Ranch - NM
“I just wanted to thank you for everything. I had a great time and learned a lot.”
Just a quick note to thank you for putting on a wonderful school last week. You are an excellent instructor. Thanks again.”
Chris Thomson DVM
Our Artificial Insemination course is only taught in conjunction with our Comprehensive Embryo Transfer Course. The AI Course is a 1 day class taught the Monday before the 4.5 day ET Course.
In the Artificial Insemination portion of the course you learn estrous synchronization, palpating the cervix, and negotiating the AI gun through the cervix. We also supply an excellent AI Management Manual. The course consists of theory and practical work with young cows. Due to innovative techniques and the use of young cows the average student is usually passing the rod through the cervix in less than half a day. Further ample AI practice occurs the next 4.5 days while learning the ET techniques.
The Bovine Embryo Transfer portion of the course teaches the most economical methods to perform embryo transfer thereby maximizing profit & is designed for dairymen or ranchers wanting to perform embryo transfer on their herds, as well as veterinarians wanting to learn embryo transfer to perform in their practice.
In our Bovine Embryo Transfer Course you will learn how to select and prepare donors & recipients; and how to collect, recognize, manipulate, classify, freeze, thaw & transfer embryos. We teach our students how to make their own medium for flushing (which only takes 10 minutes to prepare and saves hundreds of dollars), and how to properly wash and sterilize equipment, all proven methods that do not lower results!
We show you where to purchase state-of-the-art-instruments (microscope & freezer) plus laboratory equipment (the same as we use) at lower prices than found elsewhere, which will result in considerable savings initially & in the future, which will more than cover the cost of tuition!
Superovulated cows are provided daily with the opportunity of unlimited flushing & palpation. Unlimited frozen-thawed eggs and embryos are available for additional practice whenever needed. We supply all of the equipment needed for the school and we only use young, fertile cycling cows which are observed for heat every day to ensure optimal results.
We limit the number of students per school to five. This ensures a high level of teacher/student interaction. Certificates of competency are given after taking the 4.5 day school & completing the theory & practical techniques of embryo transfer. It takes the average student 4.5 consecutive days to absorb the instructions & experience the different manipulations in cows & at the microscope when help is needed. The classroom is Wi-Fi enabled, so feel free to bring your laptops or tablets.
Veterinarians can apply to their state veterinary associations for continuing education credit hours for attending our school (based on 12 hours of lecture and 38 hours laboratory techniques). Many veterinarians have encouraged their clients to attend this school.
Our courses are taught by Dr. Peter Elsden a pioneer in the embryo transfer industry in cattle and horses. He has co-authored a book on bovine embryo transfer, published over 50 scentific articles on the subject, and regularly publishes articles in cattle magazines. He is a professional educator who previously was a professor at Colorado State University CSU for many years.
Key Benefits of Artificial Insemination
- The primary advantage of artificial insemination is the maximum use of outstanding bulls. Thus, enhancing the genetic value of the herd.
- Providing access to high quality bulls at modest prices.
- Prevention of transmission of diseases.
- Reduces the risk of introducing harmful recessive traits.
- Improved general herd management.
- Shortening the calving season.
- Improved merchandising through the use of well publicized bulls with known reputations.
- Enhanced genetic value of your herd
- Control venereal diseases
- Improved breeding records
- Improved safety due to no bulls
- Learn estrus syncronization programs
- Essential for embryo transfer programs
- Sex control by using sexed semen
Key Benefits of Embryo Transfer
- To produce more calves from a valuable cow. Donors average between 4 to 6 useable embryos per flush (range 0 to 52 in our experience). The average donor can be superovulated successfully about 6 times per year although there is considerable variation between donors. Pregnancy rates should average 65% in beef, and 75% in dairy cattle.
- Circumvention of some types of infertility can be accomplished using embryo transfer techniques.
- More calves are produced per dose of semen. Two doses of semen are sufficient per superovulation, which will produce an average of 3.5 calves from fertile donors. For instance, 0.5 doses of semen compared to 2 doses of semen per calf under normal breeding practices.
- Prevent disease transmission
- Research tool
- Embryos are a safe and efficient method of exporting and importing genetic material.
- Testing for undesirable recessive traits in the dam.
- To obtain bull calves from top cows for young sire programs which identify the best bulls.
- Changing from grade cattle to pure-bred animals is less expensive using embryo transfer than buying pure-bred cattle.
The combined ET and AI course is a 5.5 day school that begins on a Monday and ends at noon on Saturday.
The 1 day AI class consists of 2 hours theory and 6 hours practical experience.
Subjects taught in the 1 day AI course are:
- Description of bovine reproductive tract
- Description of bovine reproductive cycle
- Methods of estrous synchronization
- Descriptive demonstration on how to pass a rod through a cow's cervix
- Methods of thawing frozen straws
- Care of liquid nitrogen tanks
- List of equipment needed for AI
The second day begins the comprehensive bovine embryo transfer course. Our Comprehensive Embryo Transfer Course consists of 4.5 days of classes. Each day consists of: 2 hours of lectures in the morning, followed by practical work (consisting of flushing superovulated donors and learning laboratory techniques for managing embryos) for the remainder of the day; so approximately 80% of the students time is spent performing practical work. There is no set finishing time on any day, it is up to the student to finish when they are satisfied the technique is mastered. On the last day, placement of the embryo transfer gun for transferring embryos is practiced with a new set of cows. Students are again asked if they want anything repeated.
Subject taught in the ET course are:
- Selection of donors & recipients-genetic & physical aspects
- Reproductive physiology
- Synchronisation of estrus using prostaglandins, progesterones & GnRH
- Superovulation-use of follicle stimulating hormones, mechanisms of follicular maturation, ablation & ovulation
- Heat detection methods
- Breeding strategies and techniques
- Methods of embryo & egg recovery
- Techniques of transferring embryos-palpation of cervix, uterus, ovaries, follicles & corpora lutea
- Preparation of media
- Description, preparation & care of stereozoom microscopes
- Location, manipulation & classifiaction of embryos
- Sanitation of embryos for domestic use & for export
- Techniques for cooling embryos for deep frozen storage using ethylene glycol & glycerol
- Preparation of frozen-thawed embryos for transfer
- Record keeping
The course begins on a Monday and ends at noon on Saturday. Classes start at 8:00 A.M. each day and finish betwen 5:00-6:00 P.M. (depending on the number of embryos collected and student application). Class finishes at noon on Saturday.
Their are no acedemic prerequisittes. Competence in AI techniques is an advantage but not a necessity. All one needs is the enthusiasm to learn a new technology.
Our facilities are located in Senatobia Mississippi, just 35 minutes drive from Memphis International Airport. Students flying in to attend our school
will need to fly into Memphis International Airport.
View Larger Map
Transportation & Lodging Info
We offer free transportation service to and from the Memphis International Airport for students attending our school. Upon the receipt of your course deposit, we can book your hotel for you at your request. Rates are approximately $49 per night. Transportation services are provided between local hotels and the International Embryo Transfer School for each day of the course.
Local Lodging Options:
|America's Best Value Inn
Rates: Starting at $49 per night
|Spahn House Bed and Breakfast
Phone: (662) 288-6851
Rates: Starting at $85 per night
Our Combined Comprehensive Bovine Embryo Transfer
& Artificial Insemination Training Course is usually held the first Monday of each month. The Course begins on a Monday and ends at noon on Saturday. Please select your desired course date on the enrollment form by clicking on the "Enroll" button at the bottom of this page.
The following is a current list of scheduled course dates:
|6/5/2017 - 6/10/2017||7/10/2017 - 7/15/2017||7/31/2017 - 8/5/2017|
|9/11/2017 - 9/16/2017||10/2/2017 - 10/7/2017||11/6/2017 - 11/11/2017|
|12/11/2017 - 12/16/2017|
Tuition for the Combined AI and ET course is: $3,550.00 US Dollars
We Accept the Following forms of Payment:
To register for this course click the "Enroll" button, you will select the date you wish to attend on the registration form. You may add additional courses and products to your cart prior to checkout.
View other Courses